Wednesday, July 29, 2009

My dog Part 1

These creatures can be really cute, playful, mischievous, loving and active. Some on the other hand can be nasty, aggressive and fierce.
I had the experience of being chased, bitten, barked at and frightened by some of the later.
The memories of my encounters with dogs are the topic of this memoir.
As a kid I grew up in the village and many families kept dogs. They still do. We had several dogs and they dies one by one as they aged. They were not the well-known species but common ones. The wonderful thing about them is that they are not picky or choosy whe nit came to food. They ate what we cooked or the left-over of meals. Next, they were also really protective and loyal to the members of our family. They were never aggressive when we fed them; even when we removed their bowls while they were eating.
I knew of some which growled aggressively when their bowls were touched or removed. They are those that felt that their territory had been threatened or disturbed; just like humans, we get annoyed or angry when we are provoked.
There is this scene that is still very vivid in my mind. I was sitting at the entrance of the front door at night. At that time I was probably four or five years old. I was actually for the family canine to return. It had apparently gone out to wander and to look for its own kind.
I could still hear the words my mum said, “Go to be. You don’t have to wait for him to come back. It will return later. When you wake up, you will see him.”
I was quite reluctant as I loved the dog very much and I did not want to lose it. Dogs have often been knocked down by vehicles or poisoned or killed by people. Anyway it was there the next morning when I woke up.

No comments: