Tuesday, May 6, 2014

NEARLY DROWNED IN THE MINING POOL

It is undeniable that children love water. The thrill of playing in the rain, in the river or even at the sea side conjures laughter and happiness.
            I did not have the luxury of swimming in a swimming pool in those days. This was shared with my other friends. Swimming pools were few too and to use or to enjoy one, you would have to be a member of some prestigious club.
            To swim or play in the sea was out of the question. The nearest beach was a two hour journey from home. Even with the newly completed highway, it would take an hour or more to reach the beach at Teluk Batik.
            So the only consolation was the many disused mining pools around the area. Most of the boys, being adventurous would sneak to the mining pools and have an enjoyable dip and splash there; without their parents’ permission.
            I was one of them. To avoid being detected or found out by our parents, we had an ingenious plan. We would sneak out or go out with an extra pair of shorts and shirt. These would be hidden in some corners of either an empty house or a secluded spot like a tree. Our plan was to return after the adventure and change into dry clothes before going home.
            One afternoon, a very hot afternoon and I remembered it was a Friday afternoon; we ‘disappeared’ from home and headed to a mining pool selected after a discussion. As usual I hid my clothes under the roof at the back of my friend’s house.
            We ran all the way happily chatting and pushing one another. As usual I went there with my four Indian friends; Gopal, Thayalan, Guna and Ravi. In no time we reached the selected spot.
            When we reached the bank of the pool we saw hoof prints and we knew that the cows had had their share of the water. It was deserted and quiet except for the occasional chirping of birds in some faraway trees. The pool was ours, all ours.
            Without a thought of danger, we ran and stripped and jumped into the cool water. We played, splashed and pushed one another. The laughter could have awoken even the sound snorer. It was chilly as the water was cool. That did not bother us.
            Any kid would have done the same. We swam or rather tried to swim and more often than not, we drank water in the process. Still it did not dampen our excitement; even though we knew that the cows had done their business there too.
            We became braver and waded out further from the bank. From knee depth we moved further until the water reached our waist. Then we stopped because we knew that we could not swim. We played there for a while. We then challenged one another to go further. Gopal took the lead and he swam a few meters and returned. The others followed. I also took up the challenge stepped further. Instantly I sank into the deep end. I was shocked. My feet touched soft ground and I struggled. I was petrified and tried my best to get my head above the surface. I gulped and swallowed a lot of water. I thought I was going to die. My hands kept splashing and waving around and I was hoping to get hold of something. I was totally terrified.
            Suddenly I touched some reeds or grass and I grabbed them with all my might. I pulled and I managed to get my head above the water. I kept at the pulling and I finally was able to step onto solid ground. Then I knew that I was on safe ground. I crawled and waded to the bank of the disused mining pool.
            My friends were there waiting for me. They were in tears because no one could do anything. They could not swim and so they could not help me. Even Gopal who was the best was terrified at the thought of going into the pool to save me. Furthermore to get help from passers-by was out of the question. By then it would be too late. So they just stood there with tears in their eyes and sobbing their hearts out.
            When they saw me, they quickly pulled me onto the bank of the pool. We sat down and wept out loudly. I was coughing and sneezing and blowing my nose to clear the water. I slowly regained my composure and we stopped chattering. We just sat there silently like a litter of wet kittens.
            Would you have done the same thing? Would you venture to a pool when you know that you cannot swim? Think hard and long.

            

No comments: